Offer relaxation and rejuvenation to your tired feet and senses with a pampering massage. With this write-up, find tips and techniques for performing a foot massage.
Foot Massage Tips
While most of us opt for a body grooming session, how many of us actually pay attention to our feet? Probably, just a handful, or even lesser. Or for the sake of our nails, the maximum that we go for is a pedicure. However, feet, just like any other body part, require relaxation. A perfect foot massage not only provides comfort to the tired, aching and worn out feet, it also offers various benefits to both feet and the body, in general. To name a few, a foot massage is useful for providing relief from headaches, boosting the immune system, and improving skin conditions. With a few tips and tricks in mind, you can perform a rejuvenating foot massage on yourself or your loved ones. In the following lines, we offer you some useful foot massage tips. Read on.
Foot Massage Tips
Prepare and Relax
Before you start off with massaging the feet, it is highly important that you clean and dry the feet. Immerse the feet in a foot bowl or bath filled with warm water, diluted with some drops of bath salt, or lavender or peppermint oil, for about 10 minutes. Use a towel to dry them completely. Follow up with relaxing back in a reclining chair with many pillows, making the person comfortable and ready for the foot massage. Also, do away with all sorts of distractions to set the right mood. Switch off the television, dim the lights, and play calming music.
Massage your Hands
Take a generous amount of cream or oil onto your palms and rub your hands together to warm it to room temperature before you begin massaging the feet. Warming your hands will keep off the recipient from any kind of discomfort during the entire massaging process. Since mineral oil does not penetrate into the skin completely, you’ll have to clean it off your hands using wipes.
Massage the Feet
- Start the foot massage by stroking the top of one foot. This will stimulate the blood and improve blood circulation.
- Target the cords located on top of the foot with your thumb, moving in a slow direction from the toe to the ankle. Repeat back and forth about five times.
- Proceed towards stroking the foot sole using your fingers with light pressure in circular motions, since the skin beneath is thinner and tendons more sensitive. Apply more pressure on the heel.
- While holding one foot with one hand, perform foot rotation with the other hand, applying pressure near the foot ball. Repeat five times in every direction.
- Gently hold the foot with one hand and make a fist with the other hand. Knead the sole using gentle pressure, focusing on the arch. Beginning with the big toe, work your way towards the little toe, taking each toe independently. Place the toe between your thumb and index finger, before rubbing it and rolling back and forth. Give the toe a gentle wriggling by its base.
- Run your index finger between each toe for about five times. Use your thumb and fingers to complete the massage, using circular motions over the foot sole with your knuckles.
- Target the top of the foot with light strokes using your fingers and bottom of the foot with your thumb, starting from the toes and graduating towards the ankles.
- Do not stop the massage abruptly; slow down the massage movements, letting the person know that the session is coming to an end. Perform the same procedure on the other foot.
End the Massage
With a soft, hot towel, wipe off any excess oil or cream to avoid slipping. Put on the socks to lock in the moisture.
- Avoid applying excess amount of oil or cream onto your hands, which can otherwise turn too slippery for providing an effective massage.
- The knees of the person receiving the massage should not be stretched out completely. To provide comfort, place a cushion or rolled-up towel under the knees to keep them relaxed.
- Strong pressure should be avoided on the foot if the person receiving the massage is pregnant or suffering from high blood pressure or diabetes. Doing so can induce labor pain in pregnancy or worsen the health condition.
- Applying excessive pressure can cause discomfort; however, enough pressure should be applied to keep the person in mood. Also, take care that you do not tickle the soles.
A special foot massage session can release tension and provide relaxing effects instantly. With several benefits to its credit, a foot massage is a pampering treat to indulge in.
Comment On This Article