Eating a healthy diet is as important for your nails as for the vital organs of your body. Check out tips for healthy and beautiful nails.
Tips for Healthy Nails
Everyone likes clean, well-manicured and polished
nails. In fact, strong and healthy nails serve as the perfect
representative of the overall health and fitness of a person. Though
most of the people are unaware of the fact, nails too need to be taken
well care of. Eating a healthy diet is as important for your nails as
for the vital organs of your body. It is important to include certain
vitamins, minerals and other nutrients in your daily diet to ensure that
your nails remain healthy and look beautiful. At the same time, you need
to make sure that you do not put undue stress on them, by using them as
tools for picking, plucking, and so on. To get some more tips for
healthy nails, go through the following lines.
Tips For Healthy & Beautiful Nails
- If your nails are too brittle and dry, you should increase the
consumption of food that items rich in vitamin A (such as apricots,
broccoli, carrot and cheese) and calcium (such as milk, yoghurt,
cheese and almonds).
- Every night, before you go off to sleep, wash your hands
thoroughly, wipe them dry with a towel and apply a hand moisturizer.
Thereafter, rub a small amount of petroleum jelly into the cuticle
as well as the skin surrounding your nails.
- Whenever you are indulging in any kind of housework, be it doing
the dishes or scrubbing the bathroom, make sure to wear hand gloves.
This will prevent unnecessary chipping and save your nails from the
harsh cleaners as well.
- Drink plenty of water and fresh fruit juices. It will help keep
your body, and in turn your nails, well hydrated.
- Carrot juice is rich in calcium and phosphorus and helps
strengthen your nails. So, try to consume as much fresh carrot juice
as is possible for you.
- Never ever use an acetone-based or formaldehyde-based nail-polish
remover. Rather, stick to a remover that has acetate in it.
- Do not file you nails just after you have had a shower or have
washed your hands. This is because wet nails tend to break easily.
- While filing your nails, make sure to go in one direction only.
Do not move the filer in a back-and-forth motion, as it makes your
- If you want to keep your nails strong and shiny, resort to nail
buffing. It augments the blood supply to the nail, in turn
stimulating its growth.
- Stay away from artificial nails as much as possible. Apart from
destroying the underlying nail with their chemicals and glue, they
might also lead to fungal infection of the fingernails.
- If you are suffering from the problem of hangnails, it is
advisable to eat food rich in protein, vitamin C and folic acid.
- Ensure that half of your diet is made up of fresh fruits and raw
vegetables. This will supple your nails with the required vitamins,
minerals and enzymes.
- Supplementing your diet with spirulina and kelp will help make
your nails strong and healthy.
- Deficiency of vitamin B 12 can lead to dryness, rounded and
curved ends and darkening of nails. So, make sure to include enough
of the vitamin in your diet.