Check out how you can use everyday household products to get rid of oily hair.
Home Remedies for Oily Hair
Although the problem of oily hair is due to the
over-active oil (sebaceous) glands, accumulation of dust and pollution
can also make the hair look greasy. Oily hair needs proper care and
regular washing, because dust and dirt stick to the hair very easily,
making it even more dull, wilted and lifeless. When it comes to solving
the problem of oily hair, opting for products such as using vinegar,
lemon juice etc are suggested, because they are very effective in
removing the excess deposit of oil from the hair. If you are looking for
some effective remedies for oily hair, this article will be handy. Check
out some useful tips for oily hair in the following lines.
Oily Hair Tips
- Mix two tablespoons of white vinegar with water. Apply the
mixture on your scalp. Massage with your fingers, for about two
minutes. Leave the mixture on your head, for about half an hour and
then rinse your hair with water.
- Baby powder is one of the effective home remedies for oily hair.
Sprinkle a little amount baby powder into your tresses. Leave it for
about five minutes and then comb your hair with a comb. The baby
powder will absorb oil from your hair, making it less greasy.
- Dilute 100 ml of alcohol in two cups of water. Rinse your hair
with the solution. This will remove the excess build up of oil in
- Brew tea leaves in a cup of water. Add the juice of half a lemon
to the tea. After cooling the decoction, apply it on your hair.
Leave it for about 20 minutes and then wash your hair thoroughly
- Mix 3 tablespoons of vinegar with two teaspoons of lemon juice
and one cup of warm water. Massage the mixture in your scalp. Leave
it for half an hour and then rinse your hair with water.
- Essential oils can help a great deal in reducing the production
of oil in your hair. Combine 8 drops of rose geranium essential oil
with the same quantity of lemongrass essential oil. Pour the mixture
into an 8-ounce bottle of your regular shampoo.
- You can personalize your regular shampoo and make it more
suitable for your oily hair. For the purpose, mix ½ teaspoon of
aloe vera gel and one tablespoon of lemon juice with 4 tablespoons
of the shampoo. Blend the ingredients well. Wash your hair with the
- Regular shampooing is good for your oily hair, but you should not
overdo it. This is because the body tends to produce more oil, when
the hair is less greasy, after shampooing.
- Avoid using styling products such as hair gel, hair spray,
because they moisten the hair, making it oilier.
- Diet plays an important role in the secretion of oil by the
sebaceous glands. Therefore, try to reduce the quantity of oil in
your food. It is better to avoid deep-fried food. Replace the fried
and fatty food with fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Conditioner is not required for oily hair, because the product
tends to make the hair greasy. However, if you still want to use a
conditioner, make sure that you apply it only to the ends of your
tresses, rather than the roots.
Comment On This Article